Saturday, June 1, 2019

A way out of the darkness...

I recently joined a support group for families of those affected by mental illness. I am in a unique position in that my brother is bipolar and I am as well. The horror stories that are shared on the site are so familiar. I have lived some of them! However, I am in recovery and on a steady path to wellness. So what is it that has gotten me to this point of stability?

First and foremost, I believe that you cannot do mental illness on your own strength. I make no apologies for "borrowing" from the strength and support of the people in my life. Some days I just can't summon the will to go on, so I call my "go to" loved ones and look for help. There is no shame in admitting that you are not okay, but I believe there is a pile of regret waiting if you do not reach out and act on your emotions.


The fact is, the medical profession is there to help. I know there is a lot of false information out there that implies that all a doctor will do is listen for 10 minutes then medicate. I have not found that to be the case. There are psychiatrists who will spend time and go through the process of finding the right treatments for your mental illness. I found an excellent doctor in Orange County who spends a substantial amount of time and has been with me for 6 years. Yes I had to tweak my meds and find out what worked for me through trial and error, but I think that is the case with any medical condition.


Therapy has been such an important part of my recovery. It is key to find someone who is an objective listener . Someone who is not emotionally invested that you can say anything to. My bipolar disorder is a liar and often tells me I am helpless, hopeless and less then. I have trouble with negative, catastrophic thinking and my therapy has challenged those beliefs and taught me coping skills. It has been invaluable.


Finally, a word about resilience. It is so important to maintain hope and bounce back from setbacks. The bipolar journey is not linear and you will have twists and turns, ups and downs. If you fall, it's okay, but get back up. I firmly believe that life is worth the living, and you have to have a bit of fight in you to survive a mental illness.


If you or a loved one is struggling living with a mental illness I would encourage you to seek help. Go to the medical community, get a psychiatrist and therapist, join a support group, adhere to medications, build a network of support and work on resilience. Above all else don't give up. I am living proof that a person can reach stability and thrive. If it seems impossible to cope, reach out and ask for help! The national suicide number is 1-800-273-8255. Also contact NAMI and get info on how to connect to support and services. It is possible to manage a mental illness, but there is work involved!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode 2020

 Having a breakdown due to a mental illness, is life shattering. Everything you believed about yourself and the people and places around you...