Sunday, November 10, 2019

Coffee...

I love coffee. I have read and heard that it is not advisable to drink it if you are bipolar but I honestly don't know how I could function without it. Faced with the fact that I drink too much java, I have been thinking about why it remains one of my few vices.

For starters I take a handful of meds in the morning. I don't resent it because they have made me stable and each one serves a purpose. I do resent the side effects though, and one of the most bothersome is the feeling of being tired. So, when I wake up the first thing I do is push the button on my Mr. Coffee and brew some wake-up juice.

There is nothing quite like the smell of fresh brewed coffee, and I love it! I am not a coffee snob, but I do know a little about the bean, so I make a pretty good cup of joe. I love the taste but especially like the way it wakes me up to face the challenges of the day.

I have read that coffee only agitates the symptoms of bipolar mania and does little to help the depressive moods that are the hallmark of my disorder. The high from caffeine soon fades and you either have to keep on drinking it or suffer a caffeine crash.  I however, true to my bipolar nature drink a ton and like the boost it gives me. I have however realized that my consumption has gotten out of hand and have cut back recently.

I would never give it up all together though. I have so very few vices left. Seriously, I have given up many things in response to my wellness plan and I am not about to give up my morning cup of joy!

So with many others I rejoice in the fact that Starbuck is already serving Christmas blend in festive holiday cups! I will continue to drink away until someone in authority says stop but even then I would probably still indulge. Even though I believe in throwing your whole weight at the problem of mental illness, I also believe in living your best life despite the disorder. That includes enjoying things a little.

I started drinking only 2 cups in the morning after my vacation but I usually throw a kuerig in during the afternoon. Then there is the lure of a latte from Starbucks. I'm limiting that to one a week but will probably get more during the holidays. My budget restricts me more than my desire to be moderate but oh well!

Happy beginning of the holiday season , and remember "Life is too short to drink bad coffee"!!


1 comment:

Episode 2020

 Having a breakdown due to a mental illness, is life shattering. Everything you believed about yourself and the people and places around you...