Thursday, February 5, 2015

What it's like to visit a psychiatrist .

If you are sick with a mental illness the first thing you should do is go to a psychiatrist. The book "You Need Help",  makes this it's main point. The initial visit is the goal. It is often hard though to get your loved one or yourself to make and keep the appointment.

People fear a psychiatrist. It takes a certain amount of courage to realize you have a problem and need treatment. Most think that a psychiatrist will simply throw medicine at their symptoms. This is not always the case. My psychiatrist listens intently to my concerns and uses medication and makes changes very carefully. Still, many psychiatrists don't spend much time with a patient due to insurance limitations. It's best, in my opinion, to find one who will spend art least 20 minutes with you.

So what's it like to see a psychiatrist? What does an appointment look like? First of all my psychiatrist spends 30 minutes with me, allowing for much conversation about symptoms and how my meds are working. She asks a lot of questions about not only my illness but about how things are going in my day to day life. She asks about stress levels, relationships and life events. Bottom line, she takes the time to know me. She asks if I have any questions and concerns, and listens
to my input. Only then does she talk about meds and any adjustments we may have to make. She trusts me to be honest with my assessment of my mental illness and I trust her recommendations.

I am generally relieved after a doctors appointment. I am no longer afraid of a psychiatrist. I am glad I have someone to talk to who already knows the ins and outs of my mental illness. I don't have to give my history or explain my symptoms. All this is known because of building our relationship appointment by appointment. She is a critical part of my recovery and I am grateful for her counsel.

I would strongly urge you to read "You Need Help" by Dr. Mark Konrad. It helps those who care and love someone suffering from a mental illness to get that first appointment with a psychiatrist. It is critical in my opinion to get one on your team. This book helps you accomplish that goal . It is a must read !





No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode 2020

 Having a breakdown due to a mental illness, is life shattering. Everything you believed about yourself and the people and places around you...