Monday, July 1, 2019

Gimme a break!

I've written before on vacation, but this time I wanted to take a moment and explain how important taking a break from mental illness is. Having a diagnosis such as bipolar disorder can be all consuming if you let it. I believe however that you can come to a place where you can leave it behind for a while and then return to your struggle with renewed vigor.


La Quinta California is definitely my happy place. It's where I am taking my break and I love it. There is something about the desert that puts my soul at peace. The heat doesn't even bother me. Due to the generosity of my best friend, I get to stay and do pool time and enjoy the sunshine. I literally leave my life behind in an effort to rejuvenate. And that is very okay!

One thing about taking a break that is very important is to have things in order before you do so. Part of my life is very regimented. I see a psychiatrist, get a shot of Abilify every two months and faithfully take my medication. I also am in therapy to address the issues of living with a mental illness as well as dealing with "life stuff". My support system is intact and my job secure. With all this in place, I am free to go on a vacation and not return to unfinished business. It's the way I have operated for the last 8 years in recovery and it has worked.


I wouldn't say mental illness is the dominant feature of my life. Every once in a while I do feel sorry for myself, but then do a reality check and recognize how grateful I am for all the good in my life. I don't wake up in the morning and think, Oh god, another day with bipolar disorder!" I face each day as it comes and am learning to take it one moment at a time. Although I am a consummate worrier, I am try to let that go and be more faith oriented. All in all I would say I my life is blessed and I am fortunate to have recovered and be on the path to wellness.


The lesson of the desert is that beautiful things can be found in bleak places. That is the essence of my journey with mental illness. The road to wellness has been one of hard work and some setbacks but I can honestly say I am well, and while on vacation I can simply enjoy the reward of all that hard work. Pass the sunscreen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode 2020

 Having a breakdown due to a mental illness, is life shattering. Everything you believed about yourself and the people and places around you...