Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Ready, set , goals!!!!

Chronic, incurable, lifelong. These words unfortunately accompany a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. When I was first diagnosed at 21 I was told I would have to take medication for the rest of my life and that it would be forever altered by mental illness. Well, I have and it has. Lately however, I have begun to question some of the beliefs about my mental illness.

Above all else I question whether a life has to be dominated by the symptoms of mental illness. Can't we move beyond the mere management of symptoms and onto recovery and wellness? I believe the answer is a resounding yes. Yes, symptom recognition and management are important but once achieved, shouldn't one take the next step and figure out how to live a meaningful productive life? Yes again.

Perhaps the most important factor in my recovery from my last episode, (a 9 month hospitalization),
has been my ability to set and achieve goals. My methods are simple and I think anyone challenged by a mental illness can use them to further their journey.

First, identify your areas of interest. Life without a purpose is by nature depressing and unfulfilling.
Identify the areas you want to attend to and name your passions. Clarify where it is you want to go. After you do this you can set goals.

When I set goals I break things down into categories. My life consists of physical, emotional , spiritual, financial and pleasurable components. I set goals in each category that are long and short term and attainable.

Perhaps the most important part of goal setting is assessment. Set a timeframe for reviewing your goals and see how far you have come and where you need to improve. Reaccess, regroup, and redraw your goals then move forward. If you are struggling with a mental illness perhaps your perspective or judgement is skewed and you need help in this process. That is perfectly okay. A second set of eyes is always a good thing.

Accept setbacks when You are reaching for growth and following your passions. Perhaps you will experience symptoms of your disorder or just life stuff will get in the way of achieving your goals. The key is to not give up. Slow and steady wins the race!

Go for it! I totally believe that a person living with a mental illness can thrive, set a path for the future and attain it. We who experience disorders of the mind, need to be hypervigilant about our path though. You cannot get anywhere if you are a victim of continued symptoms. I would argue that in spite of how you feel you should press on. Get your illness under control with the help of a psychiatrist, take your meds, see a therapist , join a support group, move forward!! Don't settle!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode 2020

 Having a breakdown due to a mental illness, is life shattering. Everything you believed about yourself and the people and places around you...