Friday, September 14, 2012

The healing power of a best friend...

There are many facets of an individuals life that are impacted by manic-depressive ilness long after the initial diagnosis.Perhaps the most heart-wrenching is in the area of relationships.Failed marriages, compromised associations, and ruined friendships mar the lives of those affected by the illness.So it is always a pleasant suprise to me when something works. I am continually encouraged by my family to press on.My bouts of depressions and battles with mania have not dulled their love for me.Conversly,my respect for them has grown through the years not to mention my love.My two sons remind me that there is definitly something to live for no matter how dark the darkness becomes.They both have winning ways , gorgeous smiles and a love for me that I scarcely deserve.Their acceptance of my illness is other-worldly,and although I know they resent its' intusionin our lives,  they are still able to seperate the illness from me.That said I also have an "ace in the hole".I met my best friend 23 years ago when I was first prescribed lithium.She has seen me go through it in all sorts of circumstances.We've been through alot together and quite frankly I am alive today in many ways because of her friendship.When I was recently hospitalized I recieved numerous humorous postcards from her,encouraging me, making me laugh and sometimes giving me advice.You see, she tells me the truth even when it hurts. Many times I needed to hear the voice of  reason rather than being coddled.Most recentlyduring my recovery she has sent me letters and gifts that have made some very difficult days bearable.Don"t we all need this kind of person in our life, ill or well?? Some one who when we are at our worst  cares for us anyway? Someone who has earned th right to say "It's O.K., pick yourself up, WE CAN DO THIS!". I never have believed in leaching off the lives of others.After this episode however, I am a firm believer in grasping anothers hand in order to keep from drowning.Because I have a best friend my life is elevated.I don't sink so easily when the flood of mental illness hits.She has saved my life , sometimes without knowing it, a hundred times. It is to her and all the essential people in my life that I owe my gratitude. As Kay Jammison wrote, "Look to the living, love them and hold on."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode 2020

 Having a breakdown due to a mental illness, is life shattering. Everything you believed about yourself and the people and places around you...