Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Fight the good fight!

OK, so you have had enough. If you have been diagnosed with a mental illness or are caring for someone who is ill, chances are that at times you have contemplated giving up. Don't! Before you throw in the towel, consider using some of the tactics I have learned in my fight against bipolar disorder.


Know your enemy!  You have got to come to terms that you are in a fight for your life so it would be wise to sum up your foe. Educate yourself on every aspect of mental illness so there are no surprises. It is a battle so be prepared!

Gather your resources!  No one in their right mind would consider tackling cancer without a doctor. Why should mental illness be any different? You need medical attention. Get the help you need as quickly as you can. Make that first appointment and keep it!

Borrow from others!  Don't be afraid to borrow the strength and hope of those who love and care for you. It is impossible to go it alone in the fight for your wellness. When you are sick you may not be able realize that a new day is coming. If you are a caregiver you may have just run out of answers. So surround yourself with substantial , positive people and heed their advice and sound logic. Go to a support group and vent! There is no shame in acknowledging that
you cannot go it alone. I make no apologies for admitting that bipolar is too big and strong for me to tackle by myself. Reach out and get help!

Cultivate a fighting spirit!   This is a biggie! You must learn to fight and not just be a reactive victim. Mental illness is a formidable foe and must be matched with strength and resolve. I had to realize that I was in a fight for my life, only then did I take my bipolar disorder seriously enough to engage it. I learned by picking myself up every time I had an episode and coming back to the battle with new weapons. Perhaps I got some new advice from a friend or read an article on mental illness that shed new light on my disorder. I brought these new insights into the struggle. It is a constant learning curve and I had to realize that my chronic illness would have to be a life long battle as well. So rather than just being a passive victim and calling it quits I chose to fight. I figure my loved ones are worth it, my life is worth it, so why not put up a good one!?!

These are just a few of my strategies for fighting against mental illness. Most of the time they have worked for me. If you try them and things still do not get better please reach out and get the help you need. For family members and loved ones, caretakers and colleagues I would suggest contacting NAMI. Their website is nami.org, The National Association for the Mentally Ill is an excellent resource for all mental illness concerns. If you are someone who is struggling with mental illness and feel like you are wanting to give up or harm yourself call the National Suicide hotline at 1-800-273-TALK(8255). It is not just for those who have suicidal thoughts but also those who are struggling with other mental health related issues. Reach out! Get the help you deserve and protect your valuable life!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode 2020

 Having a breakdown due to a mental illness, is life shattering. Everything you believed about yourself and the people and places around you...