Tuesday, October 22, 2019

55...

Today is my 55th birthday. I am in La Quinta California, on vacation, and the happiest I have been in a long time. For my birthday, my best friend, who is a tremendous cook, is making homemade lasagna and chocolate cake. Party tonight.

I guess 55 is some kind of milestone. You are officially a senior and are faced with the fact that life goes by real fast! It seems like only yesterday when I met my best friend 30 years ago and even longer since I was first diagnosed with bipolar disorder at 21. I find myself giving myself a mental pat on the back for surviving this long and coming out on the other side of some very difficult times.

When I was 21 I had no idea how bipolar disorder was going to impact my life. The doctors explained to me that the illness was chronic and would need to be treated throughout my lifetime. I really didn't pay much attention to that. I thought I could dismiss it and like the flu, experience an episode once and get over it. How naive and shortsighted I was!

The years since my initial diagnosis have been marked with difficulty, triumph, beautiful moments and tragedy. I married, had two sons , divorced , had episodes of depression and mania and kind of just kept going. So, I find myself at 55 trying to figure out what I want the rest of my years to look like. I have arrived at a place of wellness and healing, and I am more than ready to move on.


I am grateful for my life. I have been blessed with a terrific and loving family without whose support I never would have made it this far. I also have to credit my best friend, Kathy for the last 30 or so years of encouragement. They both have been there through all my battles with depression and I still look to them for guidance as I try to navigate the waters of this disorder. I am eternally grateful for their love and understanding.

I guess my message to those who are newly diagnosed with a mental illness is that it doesn'
t have to win. It is possible to live and thrive. I look forward to doing just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode 2020

 Having a breakdown due to a mental illness, is life shattering. Everything you believed about yourself and the people and places around you...