Saturday, April 13, 2019

Checking in from La Quinta!

There is something about the Southern California desert town of La Quinta that does wonders for me. I come here on vacations to my best friend's house, Casa Schowe. It is so beautiful here. The contrast between the arid desert and the vibrant bougainvillea reminds me that life can happen even in the harshest environments. I am here when that is happening to me. Although I live with a mental illness, it has become manageable and serves only as a backdrop for my life; I want life to happen regardless.


It has been a long road to get to this point where I can think about my next move. For so long I was in survival mode. Managing my symptoms was a herculean task and everyday life was a struggle. I tend to deal with depression much more so than mania so everything was an effort. Simple tasks turned into big deals, like swimming in mud. Now however, I am not depressed. Some of my life circumstances have not changed, but that's okay. I am at a place where everything is stable and I can move on to the next level of wellness. I think it's important to put bipolar disorder in its
place, and not give it so much power.

There is so much to be grateful for right now. Being on vacation let's me take a step back and consider how many blessings I am returning home to. My sons are flourishing. Danny is in college and working hard. Jake is newly married and happy. They are supportive of my journey and often check in. My family is super supportive as well and have seen me through to this point. My friends have waited for me till I came out on the other side of my depressions. I am truly grateful to all those who support me!

So I go back to Orange County recharged and ready to take on some challenges. I will be continuing therapy and start to address what my next steps will be. Maximum wellness is the goal!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode 2020

 Having a breakdown due to a mental illness, is life shattering. Everything you believed about yourself and the people and places around you...