Wednesday, November 20, 2013

tis the season...

The holidays. Some love them and some hate them. I am in the love them camp. Despite being bipolar I truly enjoy all aspects of the holidays. I know that many suffer from depression this time of year and the thoughts of the holidays are overwhelming. I seem to have a reverse seasonal cycle though. When most are depressed in the winter ,I am energized. Summer is my hardest time and I slide into depression in the spring and summer. So when Thanksgiving rolls around, I am ready to celebrate.

Snapping out of it in time for the holidays is a blessing. I am allowed to express my gratitude on Thanksgiving for all the blessings in my life. Despite it all, all my struggles and all the pain that comes with having bipolar disorder ,  stress from coping is alleviated at this time of year. Sure there are times when things don't go so well. Anytime family gets together there may be glitches. But overall I find the holidays to be a wonderful time. You have an excuse to be happy, an allotted time to be grateful and giving.

Two years ago I spent not only my October birthday in the hospital , but also the entire holiday season. Thank god I was out of it and don't remember much of that time. I do remember afterwards mourning the lost time. I will never take this season for granted after that experience.

So many people complain about the holidays. I guess I am still a kid at heart. I love the hustle and bustle, the shopping , the preparing for that one special day. The hard work of dealing with a mental illness can wait till the new year. As for me I like having an excuse to be happy for very particular reasons. I love the "thanks"in Thanksgiving. Even more I love the meaning of Christmas. You get to celebrate the coming of Christ ,and out of that joy, give to others.

So to all those bipolars who dread the season, I would suggest that they try to participate as much as possible .Don't expect perfection. Families will feud, shopping will be hectic and the stress of the holiday may be overwhelming. It is worth it however to summon up the energy to engage during this time. Things will not be perfect but we must catch the joy whenever we can. I believe that actively participating builds your resolve to fight the good fight against mental illness. Build solid memories of this time of year. They are often talisman against the dark days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode 2020

 Having a breakdown due to a mental illness, is life shattering. Everything you believed about yourself and the people and places around you...