Sunday, November 2, 2014

It is officially my favorite time of year. Unlike most bipolars I struggle with my illnesss in the summer months and do well during the winter. The winter months are usually tough for people struggling with a mental illness but that just doesn't seem to be the case for me.

I think the reason I do so well during the holiday months is the availability of distraction. What I mean is there are so many opportunities to focus on things other than my mental illness. When the holidays roll around I can really get into the spirit of the season. Thanksgiving truely is a time of gratitude and I can shift my focus onto what has gone right for me. Christmas is a time when I can focus on the meaning of the season and what I can give to others.

It is important for me to focus on things other than my diagnosis. Although I pay careful attention to my illness, I often need to get out of my own way by getting "out of my head". Frankly, sometimes it is overwhelming to have to pay such close attention to your mental state. Getting out of my own head means noticing the little things in my life and being grateful for the big things. I am grateful for the possibility that I have a good chance at wellness in the future. I am aware of how cool it is to enjoy the holidays and participate.

Participation is the key for me. There have been so many times I have not been able to. Depression isolates a person from all that is going on around you. Mania, in my case is so severe that I end up in the hospital and miss large chunks of my life.So, when I can be present it is a gift. During this time of year I can actively join in the celebration of the season.

 I do have to be careful and watch for manic symptoms during this period of time. I watch my sleep patterns and note any drastic changes.Rather than relying on my own opinion I ask those around me to monitor my behavior and let me know how I am doing. Keeping a close working relationship with my psychiatrist and therapist during these months is essential. I can keep communicate to them my challenges and concerns and get the help I need before things get out of hand.

I hope the months of November and December go well for me this year.I am confident that with the help of professionals and my loved ones I will be able to stay well and really enjoy them!














No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode 2020

 Having a breakdown due to a mental illness, is life shattering. Everything you believed about yourself and the people and places around you...